June is Garage Door Safety Month
The International Door Association (IDA) and the Door & Access Systems Manufacturers Association (DASMA) have designated June as Garage Door Safety Month. We are proud to be a member of these associations and support their door safety focused missions. We work hard to promote safety every day, as well as during Garage Door Safety Month.
Important Garage Door Safety Facts
- Every year, approximately 30,000 people are injured in an accident involving garage doors. Some of those injuries result in death, which could be prevented.
- On average, a person opens and closes their garage door about six times a day. That’s a lot of coming and going, which can cause wear and tear on your garage door if it is not properly maintained.
- Since the early 1980s, manufacturers have been working with the federal government and Underwriters Laboratories to improve garage door operating systems. UL325 is the basis of all safety standards for residential garage door openers and continues to be updated.
- In 1993, the Consumer Product Safety Commission required all automatic garage door systems to have a safety reversing or automatic off system. As a result, the total number of child entrapment situations have reduced to nearly zero when garage doors with external photo-eye entrapment protection have been installed properly.
- Do not overlook the importance of regular maintenance as it can have safety implications over time.
To keep your garage door in top shape, as well as keep your family and pets safe, schedule an annual Garage Door Safety Inspection. Our expertly trained technicians will address safety and maintenance items in both your garage door and garage door opener system. For more tips and offers during Garage Door Safety Month, follow us on Facebook.